Four Flour Bread

Hi there! In this post I will share a simple bread recipe that I make using our bread machine. The recipe is pretty simple and it is healthy as it includes four types of flours:

  • Rye flour (100 grams)
  • Spelt flour (100 grams)
  • Whole wheat flour (100 grams)
  • White flour (100 grams)
As you can see, I've decided to use equal amounts from all these flour types. You can adjust this recipe to your liking by playing with these amounts. But try to use 400 grams of flour in total. Now here are the steps in summary:
  1. Add 325 ml of warm water to the machine's container
  2. Add the flours in no particular order
  3. Add approximately 2 grams of active dry yeast
  4. Add 3-4 grams of salt (you can adjust this to your liking)
  5. Add about 2 grams of flaxseed (you can add other seeds that you like)
Using a 3-hour program of your bread machine cook this beauty to perfection (In my case I use 3 hour 7 minutes). I typically wait about 10 minutes after the program ends to make sure that the bread is well-cooked. Then take the bread out on a wire rack to give it a rest on your kitchen counter. If you can resist, wait about half hour before you slice and eat this bread.

Here is a picture of the finished product:



Notes: Do not use too much yeast. I found a range around 1 - 2.5 grams to work well depending on the ambient temperature. It is better to use less yeast in summer and a bit more in winter. This also depends on the water temperature, which I try to make around 26 degrees Celsius. If you use too much yeast, the top of your bread may collapse on itself as the gluten structure will not be able to hold the rise caused by the yeast. Also remember that low-gluten flours such as rye and spelt do not rise as much as high gluten flours but they are healthier.

Let me know what you think in the comments section. If you have your own recipes I would love to hear about them.

Comments

Popular Posts