Non Spill Chicken Feeder for Small Runs


I have been in pursuit of non-spill chicken feeders for a long time. None of the earlier designs that I tried that were claimed as non-spill feeders worked well for me. This includes PVC pipe type feeders as well. I then decided to ask a question in the backyardchickens.com forum. Thanks to a flurry of great answers I was able to come up with a design that worked excellently in my situation. I can confidently say that the feeder that I am about to explain is 100% spill-free. This a modification of this design allowing the feeder to be placed outside the coop, instead of inside.

First a get a (hopefully food grade) plastic container to be used as the feeder. In my case I upcycled this trash bin:




Then we need to cut holes. I decided to cut two holes to prevent competition between the chickens. I have three chickens by the way. What I am doing in the picture below is placing two 90 degree elbows side by side, standing over a small piece of wood. The wood is slightly shy of an inch so I placed two rubber bands to make the height closer to an inch. This will be the distance between the bottom of the feeder and the bottom of the elbows:


I then marked around the elbows and cut two holes using a circular saw attachment to my power drill. The results are below:




Then insert the elbows through the holes all the way until the bulge in their neck. You can put the same wood this time inside so that the bottom of the elbows rest on the necks. Apply silicon from the outside and inside to make sure that the elbows are not going anywhere:


Make sure to wait for 24 hours after applying the silicone. After this duration, remove the wood support and your feeder will be ready to use. Depending on the size of your bin, you may be able to pour the entire contents of the feed bag in your feeder. In the picture below, you can see that I put two layers of bricks to place the bin to the desired position:


Then cut out the wiring so that the holes are accessible by the chickens. This is the finished result:


I can attest by personal experience that this feeder does not spill a single bit of feed. It is also very easy to fill. The fact that it doesn't occupy space in a small run or that you don't have to crouch to access to it are big benefits. I hope you find this article useful for you as well.

Comments

Popular Posts